New Jersey Traffic Attorney

The state of New Jersey has some of the strictest motor vehicle laws in the country. Like other states, New Jersey also keeps checks on its motorists, penalizing them for moving violations. The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) has adopted point system wherein a driver of a motor vehicle, when convicted of a moving violation, is assigned a point. The more serious the violation, the higher the point assigned. MVC also keeps record of the driver’s driving record and each moving violation point is added to the driver’s record.

For example, racing on a highway is a serious offence and if convicted a driver will be assigned 5 points. Similarly those convicted of serious driving offences like tailgating and reckless driving are also assigned 5 points. Leaving the scene of an accident involving personal injury is the most serious offence earning the convicted driver 8 points. The accumulation of these points can have the driver’s driving privileges suspended from a few days to months. This can seriously disrupt a person’s life, dependent on private conveyance.

The state of New Jersey however does not discourage its residents from driving. The state gives an incentive to its motorists for safe driving by subtracting 3 points from a motorist’s driving record each year for not being convicted of any moving violations or license suspension. Therefore it is in the motorists own interest to practice safe driving while driving on the public roads, highways, grounds, driveways and parking areas in New Jersey.

Therefore, if you think that you have been unfairly ticketed or that the police officer acted unlawfully while citing you for a moving violation, you must contact a New Jersey traffic attorney. He/she can help you understand your rights against the state and enforce them in a court of law. He/she may further help you restore your suspended driving privileges. You can begin to look for an attorney in your local Yellow Pages or online. Most attorneys give free consultations and take your case only if there is merit in your complaint. Contact an attorney for more details.

Search DMV Locations